Sometimes there is not enough time in the day to get things done, let alone in the morning before work, school, or whatever other activities you have that day. That’s why smoothies are an excellent and healthy breakfast option, just blend and go! Here are 5 healthy and filling breakfast smoothies.
- 1/2 cup fresh red grapefruit juice
- 1 cup destemmed dinosaur/lacinato kale (or just regular kale)
- 1 large sweet apple, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- heaping 1/2 cup chopped celery (1 med. stalk)
- 3-4 tablespoons hemp hearts (I use 4 tbsp)
- 1/4 cup frozen mango
- 1/8 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon virgin coconut oil (optional)
- 3-4 ice cubes, as needed
- 1/2-1 tablespoon algae oil (do not add to smoothie – take separately), optional
- Juice half of a large red grapefruit and add 1/2 cup grapefruit juice to the blender.
- Now add the kale, apple, cucumber, celery, hulled hemp seeds, mango, mint, coconut oil, and ice. Blend on high until super smooth. (If using a Vitamix, use the tamper stick to push it down until it blends). You can add a bit of water if necessary to get it blending.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy immediately! This makes enough for a large glass with some leftover so you can also divide it into two servings.
- If using, take the algae DHA oil separately. I don’t add it to the smoothie because it impacts the overall flavour.
This smoothie is a complete protein source and will yield about 3 cups. If that is too much you can split the smoothie in half and save it for a snack later on in the day. The Green Warrior will live you feeling full and energized with the juicy grapefruit, sweet apple and buttery mango yumminess!
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sweet cherries, pitted (frozen, if desired)
- 1/2 cup raspberries (frozen, if desired)
- 1/2 cup blueberries (frozen, if desired)
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 serving unsweetened vanilla whey protein powder (Pasternak prefers Source Organic Whey)
- 5 cashews
Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend for about one minute. If you prefer a less thick smoothie, add a little water and blend for twenty more seconds.
Using frozen fruit is best for this recipe (nobody likes a warm smoothie). The plus side of using frozen fruit is that you can use it when your favorite berries are out of season, and they are frozen at the peak of their nutritional value so all of the vitamins and antioxidants are locked in. Additionally, you can buy frozen fruit in bulk without worry about it going bad!
- 3/4 C Ice
- 3/4 C Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1 Packet Instant Coffee
- 1 tsp Stevia
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
- 2 T Natural Peanut Butter
- Handful of spinach
- 1/2 Frozen Banana (cut into chunks)
Throw it all in the blender until it becomes milkshake-like consistency.
A smoothie is great for a quick breakfast and out the door, but we also like to get a caffeine fix in the morning. This smoothie is the perfect combination of your breakfast meal and your morning cup of coffee too!
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup strawberries (preferably frozen)
- 1 banana, optional (preferably frozen)
- 1 apple, cored
- 2 tightly packed cups spinach
- juice of ½ lemon
- ice, if not using frozen fruit and you want your smoothie chilled
Pack everything into your blender and let it run until it is smooth!
Drink this nutrient packed green smoothie for increased energy, clearer skin, improved mood, and a speedy metabolism. What better way to start your day?
- 1/2 ripe pineapple (here they are tree ripe but do try to buy a jet flown pineapple where you are)
- 1/2 large ripe avocado, or (1) whole small one
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- loosely packed cup of fresh spinach leaves
- cup fresh orange juice, or enough to facilitate good blending
- 5-6 ice cubes
Peel and chop the pineapple into chunks and repeat with the avocado. Combine all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth and creamy – when blending pineapple it is good to run the blender for a little longer to try to smooth out the fibrous parts as much as possible.
Serve in a glass and throw some mint on top if you want! This recipe makes enough for two servings. And if you love avocados as much as we do this smoothie will be your new best friend in the morning!
You can also try out these juice recipes if you prefer that to smoothies. These are awesome for energy, immunity, and glowing skin!
For the perfect green smoothie every time, take a look at the green smoothie formula below: