Memorial Day marks the beginning of summer where the weather is hot, the pools are open, and you can finally start wearing those white jeans you love again! What better way to kick off summer than with these 6 healthy Memorial Day recipes?
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 6 1/4-inch-thick fresh pineapple rings
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rings
- 6 toasted slider buns, preferably whole-wheat
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 small leaves Boston lettuce
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine turkey, teriyaki sauce, scallions and garlic in a medium bowl; gently knead together. Do not overmix. Form into 6 burgers, about 3 inches wide. Oil the grill rack. Grill the burgers until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Grill pineapple rings until lightly charred, about 2 minutes per side. Grill onions until lightly charred and starting to soften, about 2 minutes per side.
- Assemble the burgers on toasted buns with 1 teaspoon mayonnaise, 1 lettuce leaf, 1 pineapple ring and about 3 onion rings each.
- 2 1/2 lbs yellow or red potatoes, scrubbed and diced (1/2- to 1-inch)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs, such as parsley, dill and tarragon
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- Bring 1 to 2 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan (or pot) fitted with a steamer basket. Add potatoes, cover and cook until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Spread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt; let cool 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, onion, mustard, pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the potatoes, herbs, scallions and capers; stir well to coat. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until cold.
- 3/12 cups almond flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 4 apples
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbs sliced almonds
- ¼ cup (gluten free, sugar free) jam or preserves
- 1 Tbs water
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the crust, combine almond flour and salt in large bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, stir melted coconut oil and maple syrup. Add coconut oil and maple syrup to dry ingredients, mixing until combined. Press dough into a 9 inch greased tart pan covering bottom and sides. Pierce crust with a fork several times before baking for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and press down any areas that bubbled.
- For the filling, peel and thinly slice 4 apples Combine maple syrup, lemon juice and cinnamon, then pour mixture over apples. Spread apples over tart crust. Bake for 30 minutes, sprinkle with sliced almonds, and then bake another 30 minutes or until the apples are soft and slightly brown.
- Complete with glaze by combining jam and water in a small pan, heating on low until mixture has thinned. Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Brush tart with glaze and serve.
- 3 cups of Organic Vegetable broth
- 2 -3 cups Brussels Sprouts
- 2 Tbs. grapeseed oil
- 5 Tbs. Nutritional Yeast
- 4 Tbs. Tabasco Buffalo Sauce
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced
In a medium saucepan, bring vegetable broth to a boil and add Brussels Sprouts. Allow to simmer for about 3 minutes, or until they turn bright green. Drain and rinse in cold water for 30 seconds before cutting each sprout in half.
Next, heat a sauté pan on medium with grapeseed oil. When warm, add garlic and sea salt, allowing to simmer for one minute. Add halved brussel sprouts to the pan, cut side down and allow to cook until brown, about 6-8 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before tossing with tabasco and nutritional yeast. Serve warm or cold and garnish with carrots & celery sticks!
- 4 peaches
- 4 Tbs. grapeseed Oil
- 4 tsp. of raw honey
- Optional – Greek Yogurt for garnish
Preheat grill to medium. Halve and pit your peaches and brush them all around lightly with grapeseed oil. Place them on the grill cut side down. Grill for 3-4 minutes until grill marks appear. Flip and grill the other side. Serve warm, with a drizzle of honey. If you like add a spoonful of Greek Yogurt!
- 2 cups water
- 2 liters sparkling water
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 3 fresh oranges
- honey or zero calorie sweetener, to taste
- Squeeze the juice of two large oranges into a large bowl. Then slice up the third orange into half-circles and place in the bowl.
- Add fresh raspberries and 2 cups of water. Let fruit sit in the sun for 1-3 hours (this brings out the fruity flavor).
- When ready to serve, add 2 liters of sparkling water, ice, and an optional sweetener.
Have a happy Memorial Day weekend and we hope you enjoy these 6 healthy Memorial Day recipes!