If you haven’t gotten that special mom in your life a Mother’s Day present yet, don’t panic! Nothing says I love you like a day full of home cooked meals for the woman who keeps you fed and full the other 364 days of the year! Here is a healthy Mother’s Day menu that is sure to put a smile on her face.
What better way to start Mother’s Day than with a delicious and tangy mimosa? What better way to start any day, actually?
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grenadine
- 1 1/2 cups chilled passion fruit juice
- 1 (750 ml) bottle chilled prosecco
- Orange slices, for garnish
Spoon 1/4 teaspoon grenadine into each of 6 flutes; top with 1/4 cup passion fruit juice, then fill with prosecco. Garnish, if desired.
- 2 tsps unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3 Tbs light brown sugar
- kosher salt
- 1 2/3 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp pure almond extract
- 1/3 cup skin-on sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tbs whole-wheat pastry flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- kosher salt
- 12 oz frozen mixed berries, thawed
- 2% Greek yogurt or low-fat milk, for serving, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish or 8-inch square baking pan with the butter.
For the oatmeal: Stir together the oats, sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Whisk together the almond milk, egg, vanilla and almond extract in a medium bowl. Pour the milk mixture into the oat mixture and stir well to combine.
For the topping: Stir together the almonds, oats, sugar, butter, flour, cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl until evenly combined.
To assemble: Pour the oatmeal into the prepared baking dish. Arrange the berries (including any juices) over the oatmeal. Sprinkle with the topping. Bake until lightly browned and just set, about 50 minutes. Let cool on a rack for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve warm with a dollop of yogurt or a splash of milk if using.
After a filling and tasty morning, keep it simple with this fun twist on a classic grilled cheese!
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 ½ tsps. Olive oil
- ½ granny smith apple- peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Lightly brush one side of each slice of bread with the olive oil. Place 1 slice of bread, olive oil side down into the skillet, and arrange the apple slices evenly over the top. Sprinkle the Swiss cheese over the apple, then top with the remaining slice of bread, olive oil-side up. Cook until the bread is golden brown, then flip the sandwich over, and cook until the other side is golden brown and the cheese has melted, 1 to 2 more minutes.
For a quick, easy, healthy and delicious evening appetizer, give these yummy skewers a try!
- 16 small fresh mozzarella balls
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Thread mozzarella, basil and tomatoes on small skewers. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Dinner- Unbelievable Chicken
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 3 Tbs prepared coarse-ground mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 6 Tbs olive oil
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- In a large glass bowl, mix the cider vinegar, mustard, garlic, lime juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil. Place chicken in the mixture. Cover, and marinate 8 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Place chicken on the prepared grill, and cook 6 to 8 minutes per side, until juices run clear. Discard marinade.
Finish off your day by spoiling mom with one last treat. These no bake bars are sure to be a hit for years to come!
- Cooking spray
- 24 chocolate wafer cookies
- 3 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate morsels, melted
- 4 oz reduced-fat cream cheese
- ½ cup creamy all-natural peanut butter
- ½ cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
- kosher salt
For the crust: Line an 8-inch square pan with foil so it overhangs on two sides and lightly coat with cooking spray. Process the cookies in a food processor until finely ground. Add the melted butter and process again until the crumbs are coated with the butter; add the melted chocolate and process until the mixture is the texture of very wet sand. Using an offset spatula, press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan, cover and refrigerate while preparing the filling. Clean out the food processor bowl.
For the filling and topping: Add the cream cheese, peanut butter, yogurt and sugar to the bowl of the food processor and process until smooth and combined. Pour the mixture over the crust and smooth with a spatula. Top with the peanuts and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and refrigerate until set slightly looser than cream cheese, about 4 hours up to overnight.
Run a knife around the edges of the mixture to loosen, use the foil handles to lift it out, cut into 12 bars and serve chilled
We hope you have a wonderful day celebrating mom with this healthy Mother’s Day menu!