Popular Pins: September
Here are the popular pins from Sole’s Pinterest Page during the month of September.
1. Delicious ways to incorporate vegetables
Eating vegetables is not always an oasis for your taste buds. Often times vegetables are covered in all sorts of seasonings and oils, or eaten plain and then immediately washed down with some form of liquid in order to avoid the taste. Well this doesn’t have to be the case! There are plenty of ways to incorporate vegetables into your diet in an easy, and tasty way! Take a look here for 29 ways to eat vegetables that are actually delicious. Here is our favorite recipe:
Healthy Butternut Squash Mac ‘N’ Cheese
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni – whole wheat, low glycemic, gluten free… any will work!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 small butternut squash (4-5 cups cubed)
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup shredded cheese – I like Gruyère but any kind will work
- parsley for topping
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium low heat. Cut the onion into thin rings and add to the butter in the pan, sauteing over low heat until fragrant and golden, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin and the seeds from the squash. Cut the flesh into small cubes. Bring the broth to a boil and add the squash. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until fork tender. Drain, reserving ½ cup broth, and transfer squash to the blender. Add the onions, milk, salt, and reserved broth and puree until completely smooth and creamy. This should yield about 4 cups sauce.
- Pour the pureed sauce over the cooked noodles and add the shredded cheese. Stir to melt the cheese; add water or milk to adjust consistency as needed. Serve with parsley, salt, and pepper to taste.
2. Killer Kettlebell Workout
Kettlebells are an awesome and efficient piece of workout equipment. Depending on the move, you can target your leg muscles, shoulders, biceps, triceps, and especially that core. If you don’t have a kettlebell, you can always use a dumbbell, but we believe that a kettlebell is a worthwhile investment! You can often find them at places like Target and Walmart at affordable prices. Try the workout above for a total of three circuits and feel the kettle burn!
3. The perfect Fall smoothie
A smoothie is the perfect way to get out the door quickly while still getting in a healthy, nutrient rich breakfast. And what better way to kick off the fall season than with this scrumptious, carrot cake smoothie? Simply throw all the ingredients below in a blender until you’ve reached your desired consistency!
Carrot Cake Smoothie
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ frozen banana
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- ½ scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/8 cup golden raisins
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of round nutmeg
- dash of ground cloves
- 3 ice cubes
4. Don’t make change too complicated, just begin.
Deciding that you want to convert to a healthier lifestyle does not mean that you have to wait until the perfect time to start doing so. Waiting until the start of the new year, after a big move, or until you are settled at your new job is only prolonging the changes that you so desperately want to make. Start NOW, and your future self will thank you for it. Just begin.