Indulging in a little dessert is certainly okay to do every now and again. Everything in moderation, they say. But what if you could have your ice cream and eat it too? These recipes below are deliciously sweet and taste just like better than regular old store bought ice cream. The best part is they are actually good for you! You wont find any added unhealthy ingredients in these recipes; they are naturally sweet all on their own! Here are 5 DIY healthy ice cream recipes.
This delightful recipe has NO sugar, eggs, milk, or heavy cream. The main ingredient? Frozen bananas!
- 3 ripe bananas (peeled and frozen for at least two hours, perfect – overnight)
- 3 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp coffee liqueur
- 2 tbsp espresso, chilled
- 1 tbsp ground coffee
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped chocolate
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- coffee beans (for serving)
- In blender or food processor bled frozen banana pieces until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the food processor in between. You will end up with soft ice cream texture.
- Add in the rest of ingredients (except chopped chocolate and walnuts) and blend until incorporated . Mix in chopped chocolate and walnuts.
- If you like the soft ice cream texture you can serve it immediately. For the traditional ice cream texture, transfer into container and freeze for 1-2 hours.
*Note: After about 3 hours in a freezer the ice cream becomes very icy and solid. But it is easy to improve – just run it again through a blender before serving.
This cool treat gets even more refreshing with the use of fresh mint leaves and peppermint extract! Yum!
- 2 frozen bananas (peel, slice & freeze at least 3 hours beforehand)
- 1 kiwi, peeled & frozen
- 1/4 Avocado, frozen
- Handful of fresh mint
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbs Cashews, preferably soaked in water for a few hours and drained
- Splash of coconut water ~ Add just enough to allow mixture to blend
Add all ingredients to food processor or high speed blender and blend baby, blend! Serve immediately or place mixture in the freezer and blend it up again, right before serving. TIP: soaking your cashews beforehand helps give your ice cream a creamier consistency.
This recipe looks and tastes oh so sinful but is actually another guilt-free sweet treat! Serve this dessert up to your family and friends, and they will never guess it’s a healthy recipe!
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
- 4 ripe frozen bananas
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegan mini pretzels
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- Melt chocolate chips by microwaving in 30 second increments or heating on stovetop. Remove from heat and set aside. Allow to cool for a few minutes, but do not allow mixture to solidify.
- Place bananas and vanilla into blender and blend until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down sides of pitcher as needed. Add melted chocolate chips, pretzels and peanut butter to pitcher. Pulse just to break up pretzels and incorporate into mixture. Do not over blend. You may need to fold pretzels in a bit with a spatula.
- Divide into bowls and serve immediately.
If you know the pure bliss that comes from the combination of chocolate and hazelnut, then you are sure to LOVE this recipe.
- 1 frozen banana, in chunks
- 2 tablespoons roasted hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- pinch of salt, cinnamon, and vanilla
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Serve topped with roasted hazelnuts and shaved chocolate.
Cookies and ice cream combined together for a healthy and delicious indulgence? What more could we possibly ask for?
(For ice cream)
- 5-6 frozen bananas processed and blended into ‘ice cream’ with 1 tsp. vanilla
(For cookie mixture)
- 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour/spelt flour/GF flour/vanilla protein powder for a protein version
- 1/2 oats
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- dash of salt
- 1/4 c. peanut butter
- 1/4 c. 100% maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 c. dark chocolate chopped/chocolate chips
- To make the cookies, beat nut butter, vanilla, and syrup together until combined with a mixer. Add flour, oats, spices until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. The mixture will be a little crumbly
- In the mixer bowl add your ice cream
- Mix together until cookies are incorporated throughout ice cream
- Eat right then, or place in a freezer safe storage and save for later!
For even more delicious and healthy ice cream recipes, take a look here.